Spell it however you like, Houmous or Hummus – either way it’s the Arabic for Chickpeas and it’s dead easy to make for yourself.
Ingredients (serves 4-6 as a dip)
- 400g Tin of Chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 50ml Olives Et Al Lemon and Dill Dressing
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 100 ml Olives Et Al Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Juice and Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1 generous Tbsp Tahini (optional but makes it authentic if you do add it...)
- Cumin Seeds or Smoked Paprika (optional)
Mix the olive oil and lemon and dill dressing together and set aside. Pulse all remaining ingredients except seeds/paprika in a food processor to make a paste and gradually stream in the olive oil mixture. Add a few more chickpeas if you want it stiffer. Season to taste.
Swirl some extra virgin olive oil over and, if you fancy it, sprinkle with either a few toasted and crushed cumin seeds or smoked paprika and serve with warm pitta or vegetable sticks.
We hope you enjoy cooking this recipe – if you have any comments or would like to share your own please go to the recipe section of our website www.olivesetal.co.uk/recipes